White screen

Ask a question or request a feature related to the website or forum...

Moderator: scott

agor95
Addict
Addict

Re: White screen

Post by agor95 »

Robinhood46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:34 pm
Robinhood46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 pm By the way, it worked fine, no white screen.
Things are going in the right direction.
Edit; As with last night, it worked once fine, and then the white screen for the second post.
It's not all Black and White ;-)
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

LOl.
You gatta laugh, if not you go around the twist.
Why do you think i hate the bloody things with a passion?
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Ok I think I fixed it now.

There is a way to revert the behavior of tracking read/unread topics to use a session cookie instead of using the database.

I have changed that setting and things seem to be working better now. The database is still corrupted, and I don't know how to fix it, but the affected tables are no longer used.

Hopefully the session cookie approach to tracking read/unread topics will work well enough.

Thanks,
Scott
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

is this why the red motifs, indicating there are unread posts on the "board index", continues to be red, even once the posts have been red?
The notifications, which have the red circle(?) with a number, this does respect the posts read and not read, so we can just go through there to see the unread posts.
Thanks for sorting that, and have you given any thought to no longer receiving emails to notify new posts on threads being followed?
is there something i can do to re initiate it, if I'm the only one with this problem?
eccentrically1
Addict
Addict

Post by eccentrically1 »

After you read all the posts, go back to the home page and click 'mark forums read'. that fixes the problem.
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Robinhood46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:08 pm have you given any thought to no longer receiving emails to notify new posts on threads being followed?
is there something i can do to re initiate it, if I'm the only one with this problem?
Did it used to work and then stop working? Have you selected the email checkboxes for the notifications you want here?
besslerwheel notification settings.png
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

It worked fine and then i stopped being notified by email at the same time as the white screen appeared.
I still get the notifications once on the site ("notifications" next to "private messages" top right corner under search) so i think this means i am still known to be following the threads in queston. It is just the email aspect that stopped working.
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

I just clicked on "submit" but i had already done this and it didn't work before.
No white screen three time in a row. Bravo.
Attachments
for scott.png
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

Robinhood46 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 pm i think this means i am still known to be following the threads in queston.
No, as part of trying to fix the database corruption issue I emptied out some tables including watched/bookmarked/followed topics. So you'll need to follow those topics again. You can see your bookmarks and subscriptions in the user control panel.
Last edited by scott on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

Did you not see my last message, it's a screen shot of my current settings?
scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scott »

You need to go to the Overview tab there to see what you're actually subscribed to.
Last edited by scott on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robinhood46
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Robinhood46 »

Spot on.
I've just received a notification email.
You were right, all my followed threads had been unfollowed, thanks for getting everything sorted.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Hi Scott - thanks for providing and maintaining this forum .. went to donate thru your donate button as it's been awhile - call me old fashioned but I never pay for anything on line .. anyways apparently I have to register and have a pay pal account to complete, which I don't want to do without a very good reason - I was paying by visa credit card and thought it would just go thru - is there another way or must I register etc ?
Last edited by Fletcher on Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
johannesbender
Addict
Addict

Post by johannesbender »

True we all pay our dues in our own way pursuing the truth of the matter , some our whole life's , i for one can say i haven't received a single peanut for my efforts too.
Its all relative.
agor95
Addict
Addict

Post by agor95 »

johannesbender wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:32 pm True we all pay our dues in our own way pursuing the truth of the matter , some our whole life's , i for one can say i haven't received a single peanut for my efforts too.
What own pleasant company is not enough :)
[MP] Mobiles that perpetuate - external energy allowed