Decoupling Per-Cycle Momemtum Yields From RPM

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

silent wrote:Thumbs up for your Mr. V! Isn't it something how you can pour your heart into something and give it your best shot and you can always count on a "reputable" member to come in and shoot you down? I can only imagine what is said, but I must say that anyone who is critical about someone else's work, but yet can't explain how a Bessler wheel works is nothing short of a hypocrite. Instead of encouraging people's efforts, it's this perpetual negativity that can really get a guy down and why ultimately in the end, I made ample use of the block function. The *ONLY* thing that would ever make me listen to them is if they had a Bessler Wheel that was fully functional then I might tolerate a little bit of the ego and arrogance and grab for a piece of moldy bread they tossed me once in a while, while saying, "Yes master - whatever you say master." but thankfully this is not the case. I only get bits a pieces of what certain members are posting through various quotes and comments (which is still way too much), but large amounts of time are saved by me not even having to read the comments of the self-appointed experts.

Moving right along, I've been slowly progressing on my next build. Fortunately during down-time at work my workmates and even my boss are tolerant of my building stuff there and explaining it. My boss has told me, "You know if you figure this out, you need to share it with me since I'm letting you do this here?" I assure him I would and I will if it works.

The principle is simple, but not easy for me to build (but it wouldn't be hard for a carpenter's apprentice to build). I have to admit that if my idea works, I won't be that exuberant because it's simple to the point of being disappointing.

What I've finally settled on (and I could very well be wrong) is that since gravity is everywhere, there is just no magical angles, no magical weight arrangement, and nothing other than just plain raw mechanics cleverly assembled to effect movement. The principle I'm working with involves taking power from the hub of a wheel where torque is at its greatest and using it to move weights on the periphery. Many of the clues from Bessler seem to fit - more than anything I've ever built. I think I've got Bessler's idea of broken columns figured out as well as what he meant by an upper weight by which the constituent parts of the machine receive power and push. I also think the part about weights in acting in pairs as well as weight gravitating to the center and then up again is absolutely correct. The beauty of what I've thought up is that you can increase the torque of the wheel by changing it's size and not even have to change the size of the weights and the constituent parts of the machine will receive even more power and push without having to add more weights to do it! That's what I'm shooting for anyway.

Will what I have under construction work? I have no idea, but it's my best idea yet and until the wheel is solved, how can anyone decry or even approve of what is being built? I only share this because your effort has been a valiant one. You've tried so many iterations and reiterations - the most of anyone I've seen on here. Your open mind is to be applauded - no matter how wrong others think you are, with each failure we know of one more thing that won't work and it narrows it down even further.

I'm fully convinced that Bessler knew how simple his discovery was that he HAD to write books and use tons of diagrams to help hide everything and cloud the issue. Until I have a working wheel though, I'm absolutely no expert and can't criticize anyone's attempt. Funny thing is that if anyone is successful, they won't be applauded. The offended egos will instantly descend upon that one with a furor the likes of which the world has never seen and you'd have to go into hiding.

Anyway, I always enjoying reading your posts mate. I've never thought so long and hard in my life over things I barely understand. I still don't, but at least I understand them a little better than before. There is more to be gained by supporting one another with kindness and tact no matter how wrong we might be, because one day the solution will be found and it will be nice to see how close we were to it or how far we had been.

silent
I value constructive criticism wherever it comes from, but marching in elbows-out and just calling everything BS, with all the bitching - they're friggin' honest, open measurement attempts, it's not like i'm flogging dodgy merchandise.. and then the disengenuity of simply guessing efficiency without even attempting to derive or measure it - whilst trying to bamboozle with maths showing the formulation of the guess as if that lends it anything more concrete.. i always resolve false positives myself anyway - errors usually become clearer once you start trying to optimise the 'gains', and i just do not need any little slags bitching at me in the meantime, it's feckin' 'mechanical OU' research, current total successes on-record: 1, Bessler. Low-hanging fruit for ego-motivated pseudoskeptics out for easy points..

Regarding your thesis, i have one main doubt here, which is that, since you haven't mentioned otherwise, i'm presuming you're taking the torque by using some kind of 'stator', against which the hub turns..? Bessler was quite emphatic about 'no stators', and i consider this compelling evidence in his favour, since this condition potentially isolates the system's momentum frame of reference from Earth's / the ground, which is a de facto prerequisite for paying less input energy than the resulting KE is worth..

Anything i can do to help you solve the system, just ask.. building's fun, but remember our whole objective here is, ultimately, to put ourselves out of a hobby.. i began building, but quickly switched to simming for its sheer speed and ease, flexibility and efficiency etc. My flat's littered with old builds that were ultimately all, of course, redundant.. but i've simmed hundreds of different systems now.. and learned that much faster, the plain physics of what it actually is i'm trying to achieve..

You get that "the thing that makes KE", in this universe at least, is the standard KE equation - that 'gains' means literally stitching together the raw components of ½mV²; they're not going to be magicked into existence, but must be cajoled from the interplay of gravity and inertia, because those are the only two fundamental forces in the game; we know that both gravitational and inertial interactions are conservative within their own respective terms, so only some kind of combined gravito-inertial interaction has any chance of wrangling a symmetry break... the thing to really try digest is the 'momentum first' imperative (i'll bullet-point it for max effect);

• CoE depends upon CoM: motion is relative, therefore so is velocity, and, thus KE. Relative to what? CoM. This is why a head-on collision between cars at equal speed is half as severe as a single car crashing at twice that speed; the relative impact velocities are the same either way, but the KE exists relative to the ground..

• Thus the first question we should ask is not how Bessler's wheels gained energy... but rather, how they gained momentum!*

Newton's first law reduces to the improbability of affecting a closed system's net momentum via the internal expenditure of work.

Superficially, a closed system of masses interacting about a common axis satisfies that condition... but for the presence of gravity, this uniform acceleration, that applies to masses, changing their velocity (and thus momentum and KE) as a function of exposure time to that constant acceleration / deceleration..

..so obvioushly, gravity is the source of the momentum gain. No-brainer.

The next question, then, is how do you gain KE from a momentum gain?

And the only possible answer, there, is.. to pay less for it!

Cost and KE values of momentum are held symmetrical by CoM - the 'reference frame of CoE' is that of the Earth, thus if the terms of our input PE are relative to Earth, and the terms of our output KE are also relative to Earth, then our efficiency is, by definition, only ever going to converge to unity..

Thus to break the symmetry of PE to KE we need to spend our input energy in an accelerated reference frame, because, just for example, since KE=½mV², a 1 m/s acceleration of 1 kg costs ½ J from stationary, but 2 J if it's already moving at 1 m/s, and 4.5 J if it's moving at say 2 m/s, etc. etc. - the input energy price of momentum increases with rising velocity - so we need to 'spoof' being stationary, or at least, being at a lower-than-actual speed, to thus enable purchases of momentum at discounted costs for our current actual velocity. Two different values of 'speed' means two different FoR's, and since KE will always reside in the terrestrial frame, it is the FoR of our input energy workload that must undergo some kind of reactionless acceleration, gaining momentum independently from Earth, that is, without counter-torquing it. This, in turn, introduces new momentum to the world, sourced from the gravity * time delta, which CoM then duly conserves, and yadda yadda end-of-days etc. - with any luck, leaving us a brief interlude of fame and riches before we're all hung, drawn and quartered.. type stuff.. (why do i always go there? Because, uh.. see any other way?)

'Momentum first'. Think it thru, eh..

ETA: *for clarity, the specific question is: "How did B's wheels gain momentum despite being statorless?" - because it's that, particular form of momentum gain that is potentially an OU process, somehow defeating the usual outcomes of CoM / Newton's 3rd law.
Last edited by MrVibrating on Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Georg Künstler
Devotee
Devotee

re: Decoupling Per-Cycle Momemtum Yields From RPM

Post by Georg Künstler »

MrVibrating wrote:
Thus to break the symmetry of PE to KE we need to spend our input energy in an accelerated reference frame,
What can we understand as an accelerated reference frame ?
Changing the center position of the model to a different location, so that we have an offset ?

It implies a loose axle, so that different forces can occur when turning the mass.

So everyone who will use fix axle in their construction automtically will fail.
Worthless to try.

And with a loose axle we also will fail, because we then are running into the resonance disaster.

So what we need is a controlled loose axle movement, the construction will only work in a specific range !!
Best regards

Georg
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

..i just figured a much easier way of falsifying my hypothesis:

• pin a weight to a wheel at 12 o' clock TDC; give it a nudge and let it rotate down to 6 o' clock BDC

• then pause the sim at that exact frame; the weight now has some horizontal velocity at this point

• whilst still paused, unpin the weight from BDC and re-pin it back up at TDC; a 'zero-time' radial translation..

•• ..invert the sign of its horizontal velocity, hit 'run' and let it rotate back down again..

Result: each drop only increases the rotKE by the GPE...

Conclusion: if infinite-speed radial translations alone can't break unity, no degree of finite-speed ones will either..

So what's it all mean, under the hood, like? The symmetry being enforced here is a function of gravity's constant acceleration, the absolute height / vertical diameter.. and the time the weight spends on each drop, as a function of its ever-rising vertical velocity..

..so, per-cycle momentum yield is still decreasing by the inverse square of RPM, enforcing CoE.

Yet we know this symmetry can be broken, somehow...
Georg Künstler
Devotee
Devotee

Post by Georg Künstler »

Now you have it !!
he symmetry being enforced here is a function of gravity's constant acceleration, the absolute height / vertical diameter.. and the time the weight spends on each drop, as a function of its ever-rising vertical velocity..
you have an energy asymmetric function.
Best regards

Georg
WaltzCee
Addict
Addict

Post by WaltzCee »

silent wrote:Thumbs up for your Mr. V! Isn't it something how you can pour your heart into something and give it your best shot and you can always count on a "reputable" member to come in and shoot you down? I can only imagine what is said, but I must say that anyone who is critical about someone else's work, but yet can't explain how a Bessler wheel works is nothing short of a hypocrite. Instead of encouraging people's efforts, it's this perpetual negativity that can really get a guy down and why ultimately in the end, I made ample use of the block function. The *ONLY* thing that would ever make me listen to them is if they had a Bessler Wheel that was fully functional then I might tolerate a little bit of the ego and arrogance and grab for a piece of moldy bread they tossed me once in a while, while saying, "Yes master - whatever you say master." but thankfully this is not the case. I only get bits a pieces of what certain members are posting through various quotes and comments (which is still way too much), but large amounts of time are saved by me not even having to read the comments of the self-appointed experts.
My lady drags this strawman out and plays with it way too much. My lady protests too much.

Moving right along, I've been slowly progressing on my next build. Fortunately during down-time at work my workmates and even my boss are tolerant of my building stuff there and explaining it. My boss has told me, "You know if you figure this out, you need to share it with me since I'm letting you do this here?" I assure him I would and I will if it works.

The principle is simple, but not easy for me to build (but it wouldn't be hard for a carpenter's apprentice to build). I have to admit that if my idea works, I won't be that exuberant because it's simple to the point of being disappointing.

What I've finally settled on (and I could very well be wrong) is that since gravity is everywhere, there is just no magical angles, no magical weight arrangement, and nothing other than just plain raw mechanics cleverly assembled to effect movement. The principle I'm working with involves taking power from the hub of a wheel where torque is at its greatest and using it to move weights on the periphery. Many of the clues from Bessler seem to fit - more than anything I've ever built. I think I've got Bessler's idea of broken columns figured out as well as what he meant by an upper weight by which the constituent parts of the machine receive power and push. I also think the part about weights in acting in pairs as well as weight gravitating to the center and then up again is absolutely correct. The beauty of what I've thought up is that you can increase the torque of the wheel by changing it's size and not even have to change the size of the weights and the constituent parts of the machine will receive even more power and push without having to add more weights to do it! That's what I'm shooting for anyway.
Leverage from afar. What a genius idea! I'll bet no one's ever thought of that,
at least not within the last 5 minutes.

Will what I have under construction work? I have no idea, but it's my best idea yet and until the wheel is solved, how can anyone decry or even approve of what is being built? I only share this because your effort has been a valiant one. You've tried so many iterations and reiterations - the most of anyone I've seen on here. Your open mind is to be applauded - no matter how wrong others think you are, with each failure we know of one more thing that won't work and it narrows it down even further.
Never mind others have experience with the same concept, and have already
learned what you're trying to learn right now. Get ready to learn something else.

I'm fully convinced that Bessler knew how simple his discovery was that he HAD to write books and use tons of diagrams to help hide everything and cloud the issue. Until I have a working wheel though, I'm absolutely no expert and can't criticize anyone's attempt. Funny thing is that if anyone is successful, they won't be applauded. The offended egos will instantly descend upon that one with a furor the likes of which the world has never seen and you'd have to go into hiding.
You're beginning to sound like an expert there, mate.

Anyway, I always enjoying reading your posts mate. I've never thought so long and hard in my life over things I barely understand. I still don't, but at least I understand them a little better than before. There is more to be gained by supporting one another with kindness and tact no matter how wrong we might be, because one day the solution will be found and it will be nice to see how close we were to it or how far we had been.

silent
Chief Drama Queen
........................¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the future is here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advocate of God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and redeemer of my soul.
Walter Clarkson
© 2023 Walter W. Clarkson, LLC
All rights reserved. Do not even quote me w/o my expressed written consent.
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

F'ckin' Waltzcee - let it go? I don't care what's bothering you, you're being bitchy - and using weird formatting to boot. Aren't we supposed to be trying to measure shit?

How does a wheel that turns with its axle and with no stators inside or out gain momentum, in defiance of N1 and N3?

They started from stationary or near-stationary. Their mass was constant. They auto-accelerated. Mass * velocity = momentum, and they gained it. What the actual fuck? The momentum of a closed system of interacting masses is constant, and cannot be altered from within. To spin something up, you have to apply torque, against some kind of 'stator' or anchor-point to earth - ie. forces are applied between inertias, not unilaterally from thin air..

But yeah no you're right, having little dig, that's much more interesting. And swapping quote tags for blue text.. right compelling, that is. Who cares if OU is possible purely mechanically and we're the only ones who know about it, anymore than what we had for tea, right?

FWIW, i'm having curry. And cider. Wonder what the weather'll be like tomoz..
WaltzCee
Addict
Addict

Post by WaltzCee »

MrVibrating wrote:@WaltzCee - are you for real? We could've had hoverbikes and self-cooling beer cans, and i would've been a gracious and benevolent ruler, dispensing my magical free energy equitably and fairly, and with only a very modest harem, all things considered, but now Marchello has snatched that all away like a tasty peanut butter treat from a baby bunny.. those hurt little eyes staring up at you - "why?" Who would even do such a thing? Just, callous. And that's why he stays on my ignore list.
Yeah, when I look down at that little bunny, I'm thinking fricassee. Benevolent dictators
scare me. Marchello wasn't the snatcher, reality was. Marchello was just the messenger.

My understanding is that the laws of physics aren't laws as much as they're our understanding
of physics. I think most people see it that way also. As new understandings came about
,they've been checked with old understandings. I'm sure you're familiar with the experiment
of dropping spheres into clay and then measuring the depressions they made. That was a
new understanding and expanded how we looked at mass in motion and the 1700s.

Given all the examinations these laws have gone thru it's hard to imagine there are any
inconsistencies in our understanding. I do enjoy your attempts.
........................¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the future is here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advocate of God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and redeemer of my soul.
Walter Clarkson
© 2023 Walter W. Clarkson, LLC
All rights reserved. Do not even quote me w/o my expressed written consent.
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

My thinking's simple.

KE's a function of speed.

Speed's relative.

For harnessing gains, speed relative to the ground is the relevant FoR, against which the wheel's KE is substantiated.

Thus the FoR of the 'input' workload - the mechanical effort that results in momentum rise - must be at some higher speed, relative to the ground. EMGAT. A 1 kg-m² 1 rad/s acceleration only costs ½ J, but could be worth 10 J or 50, depending only on the speed of the accelerated FoR relative to the ground..

..that, and upon being reactionless. Only reactionless accelerations cause KE gains. Otherwise, a ½ J of work can only cause a ½ J change in KE, no matter the current RPM.

Yet, reactionless accelerations (as in, actual momentum rises) are hard, if not impossible - even when using gravity to absorb counter-forces and momenta, the KE gain is only equal to the GPE input. Use inertial torque (the ice-skater effect) and again, the KE gain is only equal to the work done against CF force.

Asymmetric inertial interactions would be fantastic, if only that wasn't all they were.. Mass is constant, gravity too.. trying to gain momentum from gravitationally-biased inertial interactions just seems an inherently zero-sum game, at the moment... collisions or no.

Which is why i'm back to pondering kiiking - the general principle of gaining momentum from gravity, without relying on on-board asymmetric inertial interactions (if they're even a thing), and so just completely sidestepping the whole quagmire of trying to cause unequal accelerations between equal inertias in the first place.. which, to be honest, is kind of taking N3 head-on with a blunt instrument, or perhaps a small trout or cactus. But kiiking - that's tapping off momentum right slick, like - directly exploiting the fact that gravity's acceleration is constant, and causing mechanical time-delays to absorb or scrub off more or less momentum in a desired direction.. so getting the same net results of an asymmetric inertial interaction, without requiring one. Remember, it's reactionless rises in momentum that cause OU. Does kiiking, in principle, potentially circumvent N3..?

The momentum gain principle in Bessler's wheels was the inherently-OU process.. this much seems axiomatic.
Johndoe2
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by Johndoe2 »

Hello mr vibrating. Still fighting the good fight i see.
Brining light into the darkness. Well done my friend.
silent
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by silent »

Good arvo Mr. V. I read your latest post and wanted to share a dream I had last night.

I'm not a big believer in dreams to the point of tin foil hats, but on a shear logic level, I have solved many problems in my morning twilight REM sleep mode.

Anyway you mention about reactionless movement. Now I'm not all schooled in physics and so forth, but I would take it that means when a mechanism accelerates, it has to push off of something. I think in terms of something I'm familiar with - a petrol-powered post hole digger. I've often told my customers when you drill into hard earth, make sure to tape or wire a pipe to the unit and have someone hold the pipe to create anti-torque. Maybe I'm wrong in my understanding, but that's how I take it.

So a Bessler wheel would have to be somehow placing weights on the downward moving side of the wheel and letting gravity pull it down in such a way, there is nothing pushing back against the movement of the wheel.

I think of many different things, but one of the things I keep coming back to is Georg's wheel within a wheel. I keep coming back to it because of one of Bessler's last MTs - MT134 where he was experimenting with moving an entire weighted ring/wheel. He had tried most everything else by that point (assuming the MTs represented some kind of an order to how he approached the wheel) so that was about all that was left.

Back to my dream about the Bessler wheel. It was a wheel within a wheel and even though that automatically makes one wheel smaller than the other, the size difference between the 2 wasn't much. In my dream, the outer wheel propelled a 2nd hub immediately adjacent (to the right) of it via a chain (kind of like how a bicycle sprocket powers a wheel although in my dream both sprockets were the same size.) The 2nd hub had spokes protruding out (total of 8) with a weight on the end of each spoke. Each spoke was allowed to flop forward and backward a little bit so it wasn't rigidly mounted.

The entire mechanism basically was set so that as the larger outer wheel rotated, it would cause off-center spoked wheel to spin and the weighted spokes to flop forward and smack the inside of the 2nd wheel - forever holding it forwards in relation to the larger outside wheel. Now of course you couldn't drive this 1:1 unless you had weighted rollers on the end of each spoke because as the weights flopped forward, the smaller inner wheel would be spinning a little bit faster than the larger outer wheel was spinning.

What had come to mind in my dream is that Wagner claimed Bessler had said children played with his principle in the lane. It's generally regarded as a hoop and stick toy from what I've read.

This would fit many of Bessler's clues because truly a weighted ring inside of a wheel has weight that is at some point nearer to the axle than the other and they keep changing places on and on. Weighted rollers on the end of spokes pressing on the inside of a weighted ring could be considered weights coming together and certainly would have been heard on the side of the wheel going down.

I think a lot of Bessler's clues were actually explaining the same mechanisms, but in a different way.

Further when thinking about the hammer toys - if one envisions the anvils/broken columns as the hub of the outer wheel then it doesn't take too much imagination to see the hammers as the weighted wheel inside of the other wheel. It's a rotating weight that rotates off-center from the main hub leaving it perpetually out of balance.

I think of this quote of Bessler's too: "I also think it’s a good thing to be completely clear about one further point. Many would-be Mobile-makers think that if they can arrange for some of the weights to be a little more distant from the center than the others, then the thing will surely revolve. A few years ago, I learned all about this the hard way. And then the truth of the old proverb came home to be that one has to learn through bitter experience. There's a lot more to matters of mechanics than I've revealed to date.� AP 291

Now right there one could reason with that quote it nullifies anything to do with weight shifting, but I take it that if you have a wheel within a wheel, both are balanced and neither one is shifting weights nearer to its OWN center than the other - BUT weights in relationship to each other's center of rotation? - AHA! Might there be something to think about there?

Along this path, I've started thinking about how one could modify the inside of the outer wheel with a flexible track to encourage the inner wheel to roll forwards or perhaps even simpler - telescopic spokes that just barely move the entire wheel off-center. Instead of lifting an entire wheel, what about pushing it ahead slightly? Bessler loved those blasted lazy tongs and said they worked better in the horizontal than vertical. Could the entire wheel perhaps be suspended on spokes made of lazy tongs?

I'll stop with that, but I wanted to share my dream and my thoughts in hopes that maybe it can help you start thinking of reactionless torque. I don't think anything I've described is reactionless torque, but at any rate, I've had fun thinking this evening. I'll keep on thinking and dreaming and see what else I can come up with.

Cheers.

silent
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

WaltzCee wrote:
MrVibrating wrote:@WaltzCee - are you for real? We could've had hoverbikes and self-cooling beer cans, and i would've been a gracious and benevolent ruler, dispensing my magical free energy equitably and fairly, and with only a very modest harem, all things considered, but now Marchello has snatched that all away like a tasty peanut butter treat from a baby bunny.. those hurt little eyes staring up at you - "why?" Who would even do such a thing? Just, callous. And that's why he stays on my ignore list.
Yeah, when I look down at that little bunny, I'm thinking fricassee. Benevolent dictators
scare me. Marchello wasn't the snatcher, reality was. Marchello was just the messenger.
So my bad. I'm a traditionalist. I shot him.
My understanding is that the laws of physics aren't laws as much as they're our understanding of physics. I think most people see it that way also.
Yes; mechanical CoE for instance is seen to be an epiphenomenon of CoM. Design a system with non-constant momentum and the energy cost of increasing it isn't necessarily going to increase with velocity, provided that 'EMGAT'..

As new understandings came about, they've been checked with old understandings. I'm sure you're familiar with the experiment of dropping spheres into clay and then measuring the depressions they made. That was a new understanding and expanded how we looked at mass in motion and the 1700s.

Given all the examinations these laws have gone thru it's hard to imagine there are any inconsistencies in our understanding. I do enjoy your attempts.
That was 's Gravesande (pronounced "segrav-e-sandi", same dude from the Bessler story. So yes, you're right - we've known the distinction between the two vis viva's for centuries, the nature of their interdependence, and the guys that established experimentally that mechanical CoE could be exploited via an effective N3 violation were the same guys who first solved their relationship; Leibniz and s' Gravesande et al - Leibniz personally designing the conditions of the 1717 Weissenstein demo. All this knowledge is 300 years old, it just hasn't been properly digested and resolved yet. Cue us lot..
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

RPM-Dependence of Linear / Axial G-time Per Cycle vs Angular / Orbital

'A' is a wheel system rotating anticlockwise

'D' is a radial GPE output dropping some distance through the axis

'B' & 'C' are opposing diametric weight levers, raised by 'D' via pulleys (unshown)

As 'D' drops:

• 'B' is decelerated, losing angular momentum

• 'C' is accelerated, gaining angular momentum

• These initial momentum changes from the downwards radial acceleration of 'D', and their counter-momenta, mutually cancel

As 'D' lands:

• When 'C' hits its rimstop, it is thus decelerated by the wheel 'A', sharing back its momentum rise

• Conversely when 'B' hits its rimstop, it is accelerated, regaining momentum from the wheel 'A'

• These secondary momentum changes are also equal and opposite, mutually cancelling

Proposition:

• What if 'B' doesn't hit a rimstop - instead it's just given that initial bump upwards, dumping negative momentum into it as before, and so slowing it down, but against gravity, thus increasing its dwell time in the gravitating state; it thus only lands on its rimstop after being re-accelerated by gravity.. its consignment of negative momentum effectively scrubbed off or even partially inverted?

Remember that the simple feat of cyclically dumping counter-momentum to gravity is, in itself, trivially accomplished (examples out the bazonga in this thread alone); the problem that then usually presents itself is diminishing momentum returns with rising RPM, enforcing unity regardless.

So the challenge - and prospective solution here - is to pay a fixed amount of PE per cycle (could be sprung PE, GPE as here, or whatevs) - to buy a fixed quantity of angular momentum per cycle, in spite of the rising RPM's.

The intended exploit here is the fact that, being centrally-located, 'D' is neither on the descending nor rising sides of the wheel as it drops..

..Thus, the effective 'edge speed' of the wheel system is not adding to nor subtracting from the drop speed - and thus G-time - of the output GPE.

Being a radial translation, this GPE drop induces no angular momentum or counter-angular momentum itself, but it is inducing angular momentum changes to the weight levers 'B' and 'C'..

..and it is here that we might thus achieve an RPM-invariant momentum delta; that is, when 'C' is halted in its upwards flight, it transfers back to the system a momentum rise that is no longer countered by 'B', since it is re-accelerated independently of the system, by gravity..

Summary of the intended exploit:

• Drop a radial GPE to generate equal opposing angular momentum deltas

• Consolidate the 'positive' momenta with an inelastic collision

• Sink all or part of the 'negative' momenta to gravity

• Per-cycle momentum deltas are - at least partially - isolated from RPM

Success would mean that, for example, doubling the RPM wouldn't necessarily halve the per-cycle momentum yield - with the OU efficiency being proportionate to the difference.

I can already see one potential weakness:

• Despite being linear and central, the path of 'D' is nonetheless rotating about its center..

• ..So its downwards trajectory is not purely linear; it's being partially rotated down, too..

• ..This means that if its linear drop speed were constant across a range of RPM, more of each drop becomes angular, compared to linear, each cycle as RPM's rise..

• ..Crucially, then, the amount of momentum that 'D' can imbue to the weight levers 'B' & 'C' from the linear portion of its downwards gravitation alone is still going to be limited by rising RPM's. Per-cycle momentum yields will thus still likely conform to unity.

In short, success depends upon there being a 'G-time' advantage from a central linear GPE interaction, as compared to one dropping at some radius from the center; the logic being that 'edge speed' of the wheel is no longer adding to the downwards velocity of the GPE drop, normally shortening its available G-time. However it's still being rotated downwards, and so the GPE output is increasingly angular the faster RPM's rise; eating into the 'linear G-time' regardless. So to try encapsulate the problem, and hoped-for solution, should it pan out; does that 'axial' rotation of the linear drop path eat the same amount of G-time per cycle as would be lost to an 'orbiting' angular trajectory?

Casual observers please note; this is an attempt at momentum gains at energy cost, not a GPE asymmetry, so do jog on if 'perpetual over-balance' is all you can think about..
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

..another weakness: if one lever hits a rimstop while the other is being accelerated by gravity independently of the wheel, then it's basically floating / freefalling in that instant, and thus inducing an underbalancing angular momenta from gravity to the wheel..

But regarding my central question, of whether radial linear drops circumvent the RPM restrictions on per-cycle momentum yields that angular drops inevitably suffer, perhaps it's more a practical matter of displacement, over time? For example, consider an angular GPE interaction that spans, say a 20° arc.. from a standing start at 0 RPM; but as wheel speed increases, that same 20° interaction arc might cover a 40° arc of actual space, since the angular velocity of the wheel is adding to that of the weight lever/s. So rather than focusing on 'G-time', one might alternatively consider that angular GPE interactions simply run out of displacement space in an accelerating rotating system, and this is why momentum yields necessarily diminish.. there simply isn't enough room to fall far enough to gain enough momentum each cycle - RPM's effectively subtract from the absolute height a constant relative displacement can fall each cycle..!

Does that make sense to anyone else, or am i talking complete gobshite here?

What i take from it is this: with radial linear drops instead, RPM's don't add to the absolute distance the weight moves..! It'll fall through exactly the same range of absolute displacement whatever the RPM's, at least until CF force locks it to one or other side of the wheel..

So, i remain confident that radial linear drops must, by default, be part of the solution to stabilising momentum yields across some RPM range; it is angular drops - and the additive nature of RPM's to their absolute, rather than just relative, speeds, and thus distances per unit time - that causes momentum yields to be an inverse function of RPM.

This conclusion can be simply tested by doing passive radial linear GPE drops across a range of starting RPM's, and noting the final radial momentum after each drop; if anything it should actually increase due to rising CF force, you'd think..

But the question would still remain: How to get a rise in angular momentum, from a linear radial GPE drop?

We can't just use one weight lever and a pulley or whatever, because that'll induce equal opposing counter-momenta..

Somehow, we need an effectively-reactionless angular acceleration - we have the means to wring a fixed momentum yield from it, but it necessarily involves a radial linear GPE output... So how to couple these two motions together in a functioning 'inertial interaction'? All i can think of is plying gravity to sink counter-momentum; raise equal opposing angular momenta then re-collide with the positive half whilst chucking the negative half to freefall.. is this impractical tho? Is there a better way to exploit these principles?
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

..pointless starting a fresh thread - latest idea's basically another potential solution for this topic.. a really obvious one i'm surprised i've missed thus far:

• increase the radius of a weight, whilst decreasing the radius of a vMoI to compensate, thus holding a constant net system MoI over some finite range of cycles / RPM

..thus per-cycle 'G-time' may be held constant over some finite range of cycles.

Again, if we can obtain a constant per-cycle momentum yield for constant input energy over successive cycles, that's an OU interaction.

So the obvious route is to use the falling weight to sink counter-momentum, from spinning up a second rotor..

..using the increasing weight radius to compensate rising RPM thus holding per-cycle G-time constant for n cycles..

Since net system MoI is constant, no net work should be performed against CF force..

And this time, the maths need to be solved using empirical functions.. no more 'force-feedback' shortcuts..!
MrVibrating
Addict
Addict

Post by MrVibrating »

OK here's the basic concept:

This is to be a 'stator', against which to apply torque to a second, plain rotor that will be added coaxially via a motor and brake.

The blue mass is obviously the weight, the green masses are the vMoI.

The weight is 1 kg.

The vMoI masses are 0.5 kg each.

The wheel radius is 1 meter, and its mass is 0.5 kg; a planar MoI of 0.25 kg-m².

If we set all three masses at 0.5 m radius, we'd have a net MoI of 1.25 kg-m².

Instead, to maximise the available travel, the weight begins at 0.1 m radius, while the vMoI starts with 0.9 m of radius; this, too, gives a total MoI of 1.25 kg-m².

So, with the stator in this initial configuration, the output GPE of the weight will be used to sink the counter-momentum from spinning up the second rotor (which i'll add shortly).

Pretty standard fare, thus far..

Then, the tricky bit will be to begin extending the weight radius, whilst retracting the vMoI radius in perfect compensation, thus holding the net system MoI to that constant 1.25 kg-m²; as they begin to swap radii, the ever-increasing radius of the weight will mean it spends more time gravitating per cycle than it would've, were it left at fixed radius..

And then the real coup de grace will be to control the speed of that MoI swap to perfectly compensate the normal reduction in per-cycle G-time with rising RPM!

Thus the weight will spend the same amount of time gravitating per cycle, in spite of the rising RPM's..

..hence the amount of counter-momentum that can be sunk to gravity per cycle will be constant, in spite of rising RPM's..

..so each spin'n'brake cycle should raise the same amount of angular momentum, for the same input energy / workload, but for a KE value that squares with RPM.

Doing this without using force-feedback techniques means solving the maths perfectly, first - so it's initially a formulation problem, before there's anything to try and sim..

..alternatively i could continue using FFB, and just ignore the inevitable error, instead relying on first principles (ie. if net MoI hasn't changed, then net CF work in/out must be nil) - keeping eyes on the prize of the thread's objective..

..you can tell i'm tempted to just stick with the familiar, just to get a jump on things; the goal is clear-cut - constant per-cycle momentum yields in spite of rising RPM, i've no intention of getting side-tracked by 'serendipitous' energy gains again..

..IF i can hold G-time, and thus per-cycle momentum yields, constant over some finite range of cycles / RPM, then the need for precise energy accounting only arises in relation to the efficiency of the spin and brake cycles - that is, confirming that the same amount of work is done by the motor each cycle, for the same input energy, but for rising KE value..

Might give it another day or so to stew over possible empirical approaches to the MoI swap - it's that perennial problem of syncing the relative radial speeds as a function of mr², so must have a simple solution.. otherwise i'll just stumble on using FFB to automate it, ignoring any implied magic in the actuator integrals..