Why don't Perpetual Gravity Wheels Work ?

A Bessler, gravity, free-energy free-for-all. Registered users can upload files, conduct polls, and more...

Moderator: scott

Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Re: re: Why don't Perpetual Gravity Wheels Work ?

Post by Fletcher »

primemignonite wrote:Something is wrong with my understanding of part of what "M" has allowed, compliments of Fletcher.

He instructs us that gravity is an ". . . acceleration field (NOT a force) . . ." !

As I understand it, when mass is not under the influence of gravity, it possesses 'inertial mass' of a certain quantity, this depending upon the quantity atoms of the material present. When that, the 'inertial mass', comes under the influence of gravity, it then possesses 'gravitational mass' which is added to the inertial. The first is absolutely constant when not in motion; the second varies according to the amount of pull applied to the mass by gravity when motionless.

With that understood and accepted as accurate (if so), I then ask, how can gravity not be 'a force' with respect to a mass, accelerated or not???

Could someone knowledgeable point out my error and address the question? Thank you.

James
I'll give it a go James ... see if this makes sense !

Gravity is a gradient or field - it causes objects with mass to have motion towards each other, if unrestrained & free to do so - this motion translates to increased kinetic energy [energy of motion] as the separation distance closes & reduced gravitational potential energy - the sum of the two types of energy is always the same at any distance between start & finish.

A force is just something we can feel or measure that pushes or pulls something & it requires a mass x acceleration given to that mass - because we live in largely a material world then objects all have some mass so its intrinsic, inescapable & a common denominator common to everything - but we can theoretically escape the acceleration component of the dualopoly depending where the mass is located - so if a mass is way out in space it will have inertial mass but no acceleration acting on it [acceleration = change in velocity or direction] therefore the manifest force is zero [seems like an oxymoron statement] - so the force [the push or pull we feel or measure] is not dependant on the mass, intrinsic to everything material, but to the acceleration, in this case supplied by the field or gradient.

Further argument to gravity being a field lies with your description of inertial effects & I'll try to elucidate by example.

Move any object perpendicular to the earths surface [right angles to gravity acting vertically] & you need to apply a force or energy to that object to change its state of motion - but that object has inertial mass to overcome - so in order to move it sideways [without changing its gravitational potential] you have to be cognisant of the amount of its inertial mass N.B. inertia being its resistance to a change in its state of motion - so a larger mass to move sideways [forgetting about other frictional losses] requires more energy input or force to move a certain distance because that force has to overcome the inherent resistance to change in motion which is proportional to the mass of the object - in simple terms, larger mass requires more force or energy.

Now take the gravity example - we now have two unequal masses tethered in space but affected by the gravity field - we release them & they fall to earth - although their masses are different they both experience the exact same rate of acceleration - this is strange because it seems the field can automatically compensate for the right amount of acceleration required, even though two unequal masses are side by side etc - where it becomes even more interesting is that no extra force is required to overcome inertia of the different masses when falling in the gravity field [i.e. vertically] - but were you to introduce a sideways component of movement then suddenly the force required to move them laterally equally must be different for both of them [to allow for inertia when not moving with the field].

In summary bodies falling vertically in a gravity field experience no inertial effects in that the field automatically adjusts itself to guarantee the same rate of acceleration regardless of mass or inertia which is quite different from supplying a force to move something sideways or outside a gravitational field.

What can I conclude ? - that the gravitational force is the physical manifestation we measure or feel but because all things accelerate at the same rate [all else being equal] then gravity is an unusual field or gradient rather than a applied force per se.

P.S. the gravity field exists whether an object has mass or not - its just that there aren't too many examples of objects without mass & by definition if they don't have mass then they will not have any force associated with their motion - it may seem like a circular argument & perhaps it is - perhaps someone else can give another perspective that is clearer.
broli
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by broli »

Indeed, gravity has the remarkable capability of accelerating all things at the same rate. While springs, muscles and other potential energy storage devices cannot do this.
jim_mich
Addict
Addict

Post by jim_mich »

Fletcher, you made a few minor errors in the above post.
Fletcher wrote:Now take the gravity example - we now have two unequal masses tethered in space but affected by the gravity field - we release them & they fall to earth - although their masses are different they both experience the exact same rate of acceleration - this is strange because it seems the field can automatically compensate for the right amount of acceleration required, even though two unequal masses are side by side etc - where it becomes even more interesting is that no extra force is required to overcome inertia of the different masses when falling in the gravity field [i.e. vertically] -
Mass is just the sum of all the atomic particles within an object. Each particle is like a tiny sail. Each atomic particle gets pushed by gravity. An object that has more mass also has more atomic particle and thus has more tiny sails to catch the push of gravity.
Fletcher wrote: - where it becomes even more interesting is that no extra force is required to overcome inertia of the different masses when falling in the gravity field [i.e. vertically] - but were you to introduce a sideways component of movement then suddenly the force required to move them laterally equally must be different for both of them [to allow for inertia when not moving with the field].
But there is extra force being applied due to the extra atomic particle sails in the heavier mass.
Fletcher wrote:In summary bodies falling vertically in a gravity field experience no inertial effects in that the field automatically adjusts itself to guarantee the same rate of acceleration regardless of mass or inertia which is quite different from supplying a force to move something sideways or outside a gravitational field.
No, the field does not automatically adjust. The push of gravity is offset by inertial resistance. Each atomic particle has resistance to speed change. Thus each atomic particle has both a gravity force causing it to accelerate and a inertial resistance force causing it to not want to accelerate. The difference between the two determines how fast each particle changes speed. It make no difference if there are ten particles in an object or ten billion particles; each paticle will accelerate at a speed that is determined by the force of gravity of one particle relative the the inertial resistance of one particle.
Fletcher wrote:What can I conclude ? - that the gravitational force is the physical manifestation we measure or feel but because all things accelerate at the same rate [all else being equal] then gravity is an unusual field or gradient rather than a applied force per se.
No, gravity is the result of a constant force on each particle. Each particle is held back by inertial resistance. So each particle speeds up as a fixed rate depending on the strength of gravity.

Remember that objects on the moon fall slower while objects on Jupiter fall faster. This is because the force of gravity is not constant. It varies according to the situation. On Earth we just assume it to be constant.

Last edited by jim_mich on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

re: Why don't Perpetual Gravity Wheels Work ?

Post by Fletcher »

Back again ... further, gravity has no shearing moment [like water pressure that only acts perpendicular to a surface] - that means there is NO lateral or sideways component of gravity, only vertical - this by my estimation is the main argument of why Pe = mgh & takes no account of the path travelled - that is because ANY sideways component of movement [relative to the gravitational field] must be supplied by a alternate force which will have magnitude & be dependent on the inertia of the object e.g. when a ball rolls down a ramp the ramp surface provides the lateral thrust & this partially opposes the thrust due to gravity - or more easy to understand, if you want to push your car across a flat surface you put in the energy & force, but to reverse it & push it back again requires the exact same amount of force - so a ball rolling down a slope or spiral ramp will loose height but the force supplied by the ramp provides the lateral force & if it ends up directly beneath where it started then the same energy required to move it sideways is required to get it back again - this IMO is a directly comparable example to weights on a wheel that change radius but must start & finish in the same position.
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

jim_mich wrote:Fletcher, you made a few minor errors in the above post.
Fletcher wrote:Now take the gravity example - we now have two unequal masses tethered in space but affected by the gravity field - we release them & they fall to earth - although their masses are different they both experience the exact same rate of acceleration - this is strange because it seems the field can automatically compensate for the right amount of acceleration required, even though two unequal masses are side by side etc - where it becomes even more interesting is that no extra force is required to overcome inertia of the different masses when falling in the gravity field [i.e. vertically] -
Mass is just the sum of all the atomic particles within an object. Each particle is like a tiny sail. Each atomic particle gets pushed by gravity. An object that has more mass also has more atomic particle and thus has more tiny sails to catch the push of gravity.

Yep, I can visualize that without too much trouble.
Fletcher wrote: - where it becomes even more interesting is that no extra force is required to overcome inertia of the different masses when falling in the gravity field [i.e. vertically] - but were you to introduce a sideways component of movement then suddenly the force required to move them laterally equally must be different for both of them [to allow for inertia when not moving with the field].
But there is extra force being applied due to the extra atomic particle sails in the heavier mass.
Fletcher wrote:In summary bodies falling vertically in a gravity field experience no inertial effects in that the field automatically adjusts itself to guarantee the same rate of acceleration regardless of mass or inertia which is quite different from supplying a force to move something sideways or outside a gravitational field.
No, the field does not automatically adjust. The push of gravity is offset by inertial resistance. Each atomic particle has resistance to speed change. Thus each atomic particle has both a gravity force causing it to accelerate and a inertial resistance force causing it to not want to accelerate. The difference between the two determines how fast each particle changes speed. It make no difference if there are ten particles in an object or ten billion particles; each particle will accelerate at a speed that is determined by the force of gravity of one particle relative the the inertial resistance of one particle.
Fletcher wrote:What can I conclude ? - that the gravitational force is the physical manifestation we measure or feel but because all things accelerate at the same rate [all else being equal] then gravity is an unusual field or gradient rather than a applied force per se.
No, gravity is the result of a constant force on each particle. Each particle is held back by inertial resistance. So each particle speeds up as a fixed rate depending on the strength of gravity.

Remember that objects on the moon fall slower while objects on Jupiter fall faster. This is because the force of gravity is not constant. It varies according to the situation. On Earth we just assume it to be constant.

hmmm... then do a simple experiment - place two identical objects of different mass [same shape & volume] on a flat surface & apply an imaginary force to them so that they move sideways - make this force equal to the gravity force for each N.B. the force for each of them will be different - will one pull ahead of the other, will it not ?

Now, repeat the same experiment but let them fall in a vacuum but still apply the sideways force equivalent to gravity - they will loose the same height vertically but move different distances laterally ?? - did the vertically acting force which you say takes account of inertia produce the same lateral results ?? - if it didn't then something is wrong with either one or other of our world models or I'm not of understanding ??
ovyyus
Addict
Addict

Post by ovyyus »

Jim wrote:Why do we need to exclude inertia?
Because, like gravity, all evidence to date supports the conclusion that inertia is conservative. Until you (or anyone else) can demonstrate otherwise then inertia is obviously excluded as an energy source. I think Bessler exploited a real energy source to overbalance his wheels.
broli
Aficionado
Aficionado

Post by broli »

Fletcher wrote:
hmmm... then do a simple experiment - place two identical objects of different mass [same shape & volume] on a flat surface & apply an imaginary force to them so that they move sideways - make this force equal to the gravity force for each N.B. the force for each of them will be different - will one pull ahead of the other, will it not ?
Won't you then exactly have the effect of gravity if you equal these forces to the gravity force but in horizontal direction, why would one arrive before the other?
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Try it in wm broli - apply the same acceleration to say a 1 kg block & a 10 kg block of the same dimensions - see how far they move vertically & horizontally over a set time of say 1 second ?

You are applying an acceleration in one instance & a force in the other & that might be the crux of the problem, or I'm completely way out on a tangent.

Always willing to learn something !

Edit : I may have to rethink that example to test it in wm.
Last edited by Fletcher on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
primemignonite
Devotee
Devotee

Post by primemignonite »

"What is your 'inertial mass'?" - James to Ovyyus

"It's the same as my gravitational mass ;)" - Ovyyus

Bill, I am sorry but this simply cannot be, can it?

IF we were to take one of Bessler's twelve footer's (having stripped-out it's secret stuff) which inertial mass is known already, and MOUNT YOU on one side head in, and a Doppelganger of yours on the other, adjust both in-and-out and up-and-down just-so, thereby achieving perfect balance so that no matter whereat the two you's were positioned around the circle neither would displace, we would then be able to measure the three combined inertial masses, subtract that of the wheel's, and divide the remainder in half. We would then have that amount of most intense interest, in kilograms, hopefully.

Then, remove the Other and put YOU into an unbalanced state once again, and measure by the usual, popular means. This would be the inertial mass to which is added the influence of gravity's FORCE. The combined two would be your WEIGHT (aka 'gravitational mass'), which is not of much interest to us at all, as we are doing science here, and not mundane comparisons for purposes of ups-manship, or anything like it.

Physics, it is!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAR!

Your response was most satisfying in large ways, 'though really not all that usable by us who inhabit the somewhat less elevated realms of intellectual prowess? What you have kindly allowed, most of us will have to carefully conserve for near-future reference, after things have improved as to our abilities in the area of ultimate comprehension. Undoubtedly, yours is help of an elevated order of the likes of Jonathan's and Grimer's. Just as it is in the case of God, we trust that you know of what you three pronounce to us. What else can we do? No matter what the actual case may be, thanks to you and them for it. (I am sincere in this.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I believe Bessler's wheels gained excess energy from the cosmic forces of nature that give two objects inertial kinetic forces that are relative to the square of the speed difference of the two objects." - Jim_Mich (underscoring mine)

Natural forces!

I knew he would come around. 'Twas just a matter of time.

Hot damn, Bill! Yourself and Fletcher now have three and one half members for the rather exclusive N.F.G. !

Things are looking up!

And finally, you ask ". . . by 'candidates' , I meant 'options'. If we exclude gravity and inertia as potential energy sources for obvious reasons (some have yet to get there), then what options are left?"

Oh!

Well, although I do now let myself in for some Hell's fire sure, on account, I don't dismiss the possibility of Divine Special Dispensation regarding His natural laws (to some obviously ultimately unknowable purpose) as being one possibility, as well.

You see, given the mass of evidence accumulated over time 'pro' the Bessler case, plus the seeming impossibility put to it by the very nay-saying laws and their humility-filled temple guardians, barring evidence forthcoming to-the-contrary, I assert that it MUST NOT be discarded as a possible answer to the mystery, and so, I stand tall for that one, as well.

Sure, no one but myself and one other (who no longer strides among us) desire to hear of such a message! (I cannot and do not blame them, for IF it were so, all would be co-opted absolutely, as in "game over"?) But, for purposes of maintenance of sanity, I suggest that it's adoption might be considered, at least tentatively.

So . . . I find myself with all three legs in differing (if not warring) groups and very well supported and self-levelling, as a tripod might be, this newest being (as I hereby dub it to be) the D.D.G., this new acroynym standing for "Divine Dispensation Group"!

(Now, I am ready for the blast . . .)

Thanks to all.

James

PS Fletcher, I see what you have done latterly. It will have to be studied by me, and that will take a little while. Nothing of it is of the realm of the jocular, to say the least, so my premature commentary regarding it surely does not belong here. Thank you.

[EDIT - slight spelling touch-up. Something untoward always gets through.]
Last edited by primemignonite on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic-In-Chief, BesslerWheel (Ret.); Perpetualist First-Class; Iconoclast. "The Iconoclast, like the other mills of God, grinds slowly, but it grinds exceedingly small." - Brann
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Ok .. to broli & jim & james in particular - my example & explanation was bollocks - viewing it as groups of discrete particles is probably more accurate - inertia could then be viewed as a reward acting force acting against the forward acting gravity force [netting out] & that would explain why inertia is constant wherever you are but why gravity experienced is different, as per on different planets etc - a force is a force, even if it does need a mass to be one.

When I did the wm example I created fake forces & it did indeed show there was no difference in the amount of distance traveled horizontally in one second if the same force as gravity was used.

It shows that if inertia is viewed as a drag force then everything remains relative & a 10 kg block will have 10 times as much inertial drag - where it then becomes interesting again is in relation to Bill's comments about the conservatism of inertia - if the relationship or ratio between inertial drag & gravity acceleration is constant & we treat every mass as a conglomerate of discrete particles then there appears little scope to change that 'set in concrete' ratio.

Sometimes it's good to clear the decks of erroneous notions, so bunches of discrete particles & inertial drag force it is from now on for me :)
Michael
Addict
Addict

Post by Michael »

I think someone's got a bit of a crush on you Bill.
meChANical Man.
--------------------
"All things move according to the whims of the great magnet"; Hunter S. Thompson.
primemignonite
Devotee
Devotee

Post by primemignonite »

Fletcher, this is really rough-going for minds of my type.

So, with your new understanding, does there or does
there not seem to be some new light at the end of the
Abeling Wheel tunnel?

You know, the N.F.G. approach seems to me a weak one
because all of the natural forces that could possibly be
marshalled to the enclosed Bessler circumstance, seem to
be ones FEEBLE. 'Wind is out though very powerful as is
water; no sunlight could have been used in those days, and
besides B's wheel was inside L. Karl's room.

How about calcium carbide as a source of heat? A whole
pile of it could have been gotten into the wheels. (But that
would have been cheating big-time.) Did they have it in
those days?

Over a hundred watts out, from the big one! What natural
force could possibly account for it? The energy bill seems
way too large to be fulfilled by it.

Given the so-far total lack of gravity approach success, and
the unlikely seeming N.F.G. approach, this begins to give
DANGEROUS credence to the too painful to accept D.D.G.
people! (All one of us.)

Truly, the N.F.G. and the G.O.F.G. have not by any means played-
out their last, but time marches on. My fingers are crossed
for the Abeling proposition. If-so, it will lead us directly to what
Bessler did.

Thanks very much for your considered thoughts and careful
presentations. They helped a lot.

James
Cynic-In-Chief, BesslerWheel (Ret.); Perpetualist First-Class; Iconoclast. "The Iconoclast, like the other mills of God, grinds slowly, but it grinds exceedingly small." - Brann
BAR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BAR »

Move any object perpendicular to the earths surface [right angles to gravity acting vertically] & you need to apply a force or energy to that object to change its state of motion - but that object has inertial mass to overcome - so in order to move it sideways [without changing its gravitational potential] you have to be cognisant of the amount of its inertial mass N.B. inertia being its resistance to a change in its state of motion - so a larger mass to move sideways [forgetting about other frictional losses] requires more energy input or force to move a certain distance because that force has to overcome the inherent resistance to change in motion which is proportional to the mass of the object - in simple terms, larger mass requires more force or energy.

Now take the gravity example - we now have two unequal masses tethered in space but affected by the gravity field - we release them & they fall to earth - although their masses are different they both experience the exact same rate of acceleration - this is strange because it seems the field can automatically compensate for the right amount of acceleration required, even though two unequal masses are side by side etc - where it becomes even more interesting is that no extra force is required to overcome inertia of the different masses when falling in the gravity field [i.e. vertically] - but were you to introduce a sideways component of movement then suddenly the force required to move them laterally equally must be different for both of them [to allow for inertia when not moving with the field].

In summary bodies falling vertically in a gravity field experience no inertial effects in that the field automatically adjusts itself to guarantee the same rate of acceleration regardless of mass or inertia which is quite different from supplying a force to move something sideways or outside a gravitational field.
This is correct if you mean inertial effects are from supplying an external force that creates stress between the atomic electrons which then translates to the heavier nuclei.
Your response was most satisfying in large ways, 'though really not all that usable by us who inhabit the somewhat less elevated realms of intellectual prowess? What you have kindly allowed, most of us will have to carefully conserve for near-future reference, after things have improved as to our abilities in the area of ultimate comprehension. Undoubtedly, yours is help of an elevated order of the likes of Jonathan's and Grimer's. Just as it is in the case of God, we trust that you know what-of you three pronounce to us. What else can we do? No matter what the actual case may be, thanks to you and them for it. (I am sincere in this.)
primemignonite you are too kind. :)

There is only 1 kind of mass. The difference with inerta and gravitation is gravitational acceleration causes all the matter (as mass) to accelerate uniformly. Inerta is simply caused by the mass flattening out in the direction of motion. That is called the Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction. The rest mass energy resists motion because it is also in motion but is limited by the velocity of light. Since velocity can not be added faster than light, the resultant vector causes mass to lengthen perpendicular to the motion. This is how kinetic energy is stored in mass.

As for 2 motions 1 of gravitational acceleration and 1 of an external force, the external force is directly proportional F=MA. So a larger mass requires more external force to have the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

Gravitation imparts infinite energy because it is 4th dimensional. I have a better explanation here:

http://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=56816
Fletcher
Addict
Addict

Post by Fletcher »

Actually james I don't view it as necessary to actually understand gravity mathematically - just the practical fundamentals of what we observe so that its behaviour on objects can be predictable - that gives me a degree of certainty to work with - so I occasionally replace mind models with better ones when they come along & jim_mich gave me a nice steer today which made it easier for me to appreciate the role of inertia, also as a force - one which acts in the opposite direction to any applied force - this may not be technically correct though it does help me visualize whats going on - I know he favours the aether model but ateotd I'm going to sidestep that discussion.
james wrote:So, with your new understanding, does there or does
there not seem to be some new light at the end of the Abeling Wheel tunnel?
With the risk of sounding a complete heretic & naysayer I can safely say that I am far to dense to have seen any potential in the Abeling information, based on what's available so far - in order for it to work it needs something else which he is keeping close to his chest at this time, assuming he is for real - that's just my opinion.

I don't believe Bessler was a fraud or that he used fraudulent means to power his wheels - as to what that 'other' force might be to turn out 100 watts thereabouts I am going to go with a thermal engine but not in a way we would recognize it - nothing as straight forward as that else we would have guessed at it by now.
primemignonite
Devotee
Devotee

Post by primemignonite »

Fletcher & BAR*,

Thanks much for the sterling efforts to get
something usable through 'dense matter'!

(It will require some re-reads for real progress
to happen though.)

James